Gone are those olden times when you had to pull out your tooth if it was aching a lot. Dentistry is evolving fast enough to come up with a solution for every problem. Root canal treatment is one such solution that takes care of decayed aching tooth. This page explains every detail that you ought to know about root canal treatment.
What is root canal treatment?
To understand root canal treatment, one must know the internal structure of a natural tooth. There are two parts of a natural tooth- the crown and the root. Apart from that, you must be aware of the fact that the tooth is composed of three layers- enamel, dentin and pulp. Pulp is the innermost chamber that houses blood vessels and nerve fibers. A tooth root has root canals which contains the root part of the pulp. Whenever a tooth pulp gets infected due to any reason, you can feel pain and, if left ignored, may lead to swelling also.
Root canal treatment involves the removal of the infected pulp and cleaning of root canals. Thereafter, an inert filling material is placed within the root canals so that the tooth remains uninfected. This way the dental infection is removed and the tooth is saved from being pulled out.
How Is The Root Canal Treatment Done?
Root canal treatment at Dover, Delaware is carried out in the following way:
· Administration of local anesthesia- Your tooth will be numbed before the dentist proceeds with the treatment. This will minimize all sorts of discomfort during the procedure.
· Access to pulp chamber- Now, the dentist drills his way into the pulp and shapes the cavity in such a way that makes him easy to carry out the rest of the procedure.
· Removal of pulp- Through screw like instruments, the dead or infected pulp tissue is pulled out completely. The root canals are cleaned and disinfected intermittently.
· Widening of root canals- Special files are used to increase the width of the root canal space. This ensures the smooth placement of inert filling material.
· Filling of root canals- Finally, root canal filling material is used to fill the root canals. Generally materials like gutta-percha is used which is biocompatible and does not harm the body in any way.
· Sealing the crown part- Once the roots are filled, the crown part is filled with temporary or permanent cement.
What Happens If I Don't Want Root Canal Treatment?
If you ignore your tooth and do not get a root canal treatment done, you may have to face several complications like an abscess in which the area around the tooth swells up with pus and causes immense pain and discomfort. Eventually your tooth may have to be removed as it may no longer be in a state where it can be recovered. A tooth lost can never be replaced with another natural tooth and artificial replacements can never be as perfect as your natural ones.
Is The Root Canal Treatment Painful?
Absolutely not. The whole procedure is carried out after the administration of local anesthesia. Hence, all levels of discomfort and pain are kept at minimum. After the anesthesia effect wears off, you may start getting slight pain. This can be controlled by painkillers which your dentist at Dover, Delaware prescribes on the completion of the procedure.
What Happens After The Root Canal Treatment?
After root canal treatment is over, a permanent filling or dental crown is often needed within a span of a month or so. This is because a tooth becomes dry and brittle as it loses its blood supply and nerve fibers. Moreover, after some months, the color of the tooth becomes dark and can be easily distinguished from the rest of them. Hence, it is highly recommended to go for Crown placement over a root canal treated tooth. Take care of your root treated tooth just like the rest of them. Brush twice daily and floss your teeth at least once a day.
What is the Root Canal Treatment Price?
As a matter of fact, the cost of root canal at Dover, Delaware varies from case to case. Your tooth may not be as difficult as another person’s tooth. Hence, the dentist has to evaluate all the factors related to treatment to arrive at an exact price for the treatment. For more details regarding the price, kindly contact us at American Dental Care.
If you have a bad toothache, visit us at our office. Our dentist at Dover, Delaware will check the tooth to see if it can be saved through root canal procedure or not. Feel safe and rest assured if you are suggested to go for root canal treatment. After all, your smile is our first priority and we understand how important your teeth are for you!
Root Canals | Root Canal Dentist | Painless Root Canal Dental Care
Dover| Camden | Wyoming| Harrington| Milford | Smyrna |Middletown